Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 3: Walmart at the End of the World

Achievement Unlocked: Survived the Rapture

Today, which, as it turns out, was not the beginning of the end times, was at least mildly productive.

The Begin an Exercise Routine quest requires that two of the seven consecutive days of exercise be strength training.  It has been seven or eight months since I last did any strength training, and to be honest I'm a little afraid, but I'm not going to let it get in the way.  I start with crunches, but they don't take long before I move on to the main course.

My method involves starting at a high weight, doing a small number of reps, moving down a notch, doing a slightly larger number of reps, etc, until one reaches the last notch and does a large number of reps.  When I was exercising every day before (the aforementioned eight months ago) I would start at 80-90 pounds, depending on how I was feeling that day, but I just don't think I'm ready for it.  So I start at 50.  It's not as bad as it could have been, but that's still far from great.  Nonetheless I make it, and I'm glad I did.  (25 points)

After that, I jump into the rest of my day.  I'm really trying to get some stuff done.  I have some laundry that needs to be put away (10 points).  After that I move on to a bigger task.  It has been a long time since I did any cleaning in my bathroom.  I've cleaned the sink area on occasion, but the shower and toilet area has been seriously neglected, it's nasty and it needs fixed.  I tackle the whole thing (30 points).


Now it's time for something I've been dreading.  Mini Quest: Venture to Walmart (25 points).  As I enter the store, I observe that no one seems particularly concerned with the coming apocalypse.  Perhaps it's because hell isn't that scary when you're already in Walmart.  As I move about the surreal landscape it occurs to me that I should add game elements to the Walmart experience, but nothing comes to mind.  Still, if I could find a way to make Walmart fun, how much human suffering could I eliminate?  It's hard to say, but either way, I make it through unscathed.

It's summer, and I have a visitor.


For some reason, I live in the pill bug equivalent of the Elephant's Graveyard.  They come here to die, or so it seems.  When I'm in my better moods, or at least wearing pants already, I will take these little guys back outside when I spot them.  I can't guarantee this will provide them with a long and happy life, but I can at least give them a shot.  It occurs to me that a new game element is called for.  Saving a pill bug, 5 points to the Misc stat.  As strange as it seems, I'm now looking forward to finding more pill bugs to take outside.

Time for the Picture of the Day.


This is the view I can see through my apartment window (though the picture was taken outside).  All things considered... it's actually pretty gorgeous.  After taking it I wander out into the field to try and get pictures of some of the wild flowers, but the camera focus is fighting with me, so most of them don't turn out too well.

Final Score for the day:  134.  I haven't topped that first day yet... but I will.