Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 4: Power Down Power Up

As happens all to often, I am woken early this morning by my phone.  This time, however, it is not a text or phone call, but the sound my phone makes when it has been detached from its power source.  Yes, all the power in my apartment has suddenly been shut off.  I panic at first.  Did I pay my electric bills?  I turn on my computer to see if I can see any of the other networks in my building.  None do.  It would seem that power is out in the whole complex, I haven't forgotten to pay for my electricity.

After my sigh of relief, I find myself becoming increasingly frustrated.  It's strange to realize how integral a part of my life TV has become.  I always watch something when I eat, when I'm having breakfast, and much of the rest of the time as well.  But those things I can do without power, how am I supposed to get a shower when there are no lights in my bathroom?

As I become more awake, I remember, it's okay, I'm playing a game.  So I make a decision, when the power's out, I'm powered up.  Everything I do is worth double points until it comes back on, and I find myself increasingly excited at the opportunity I have been handed.  By the time the power comes back, I have eaten breakfast (2 pts x 2), done my exercise (25 pts x 2), and read for an hour (15 pts x 2).  Not a bad score to start the day with.

After the power comes back, I'm still feeling it, so I start the quest Clean the Living Area of My Apartment.  I get a lot of work done.


Is it all finished?  No, not by a long shot.  But compared to how things were looking just a day ago, this is a massive improvement.  (100 pts)

The pill bug game needs work.  I set the score for each pill bug at 5 points a piece.  I realize this by the time I have saved the tenth pill bug (5 pts each x10 = 50pts).  By the time the day is done, I have saved 48 pill bugs, that's 240 points.  If I keep that set as it is, the pill bugs will by far outweigh any other activity I take part in for points.

(These are just a few of the pill bugs that I save over the course of the day.)

For now, I'm just going to have to make them 1 point a piece, that still nets me an incredible 48 points for the day.  Nothing to scoff at.

My Picture of the Day, incidentally, is one of the pill bug pictures I took.


My score for the day 254 points.  It's by far my high score, and considering that it's been one of my most productive days yet, I feel that I've earned it.